[OT] Open Source and my company's web application

Aaron Vegh aaronvegh-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Thu Jan 19 01:58:05 UTC 2006

Hey Sy,
Thanks for writing about this; I find your dilemma very interesting!
All the more so because I've run into a very similar situation, with
what sounds like a very similar application. I wrote about it here
recently.

This thing called TaskToy (www.tasktoy.com) is currently
closed-source, and because it's a to-do application (again, like
Backpack), the expectation is that it will be used as one's always-on,
always-there application for managing their life. For me anyway, if I
can't GUARANTEE that it will always be available to me, then I can't
risk using it. Naturally there are plenty of folks who disagree. But
on this list anyway, I think you'll find that most people will agree
that an open source application is the only way to guarantee that
users can rely on it to make it part of their life.

For additional irony, I'm beginning to work on my own open source
to-do list application, indeed using Rails and Ajax goodness. If you
want to go ahead and release it open-source, I would be thrilled! But
then again, I'll probably still work on mine since I want to learn
Rails. :-)

Best of luck!
Aaron.