free mp3 sites for classical ?

Jamon Camisso jamon.camisso-H217xnMUJC0sA/PxXw9srA at public.gmane.org
Wed Jan 18 15:21:52 UTC 2006

William Park wrote:
> Beethoven is my favourite, but all my collections are LPs.  Does anyone
> here know free site for classical mp3's ?
>
> PS. Yes, yes, I should get CDs.  But, my turnable still works.

Beethoven > Turntable > Preamp > Soundcard > audacity > lame...

You can get a good enough preamp for less than $40 from lots of places,
even a cheap Tandy unit works well for this purpose (what I've got).
That way you've got the same recording that you've grown accustomed to
-- I have a hard time listening to anyone else's version of Handel's
Watermusic except for Roger Norrington and the London Classical Players'
rendition.

With your own preamp you also get the added bonus of capturing that well
worn vinyl sound, complete with pops, hisses, and crackles. You can even
clean the resulting file up such that major defects get reduced to
listenable small defects. Definitely worth your time to encode your own IMO.

Jamon