Linux, Internet Cafe, Haiti...

William Park opengeometry-FFYn/CNdgSA at public.gmane.org
Tue Jan 17 20:30:29 UTC 2006

On Tue, Jan 17, 2006 at 02:40:32PM -0500, Jamon Camisso wrote:
> So I'm looking at simply purchasing a number of these systems to take
> down to Jacmel and configure them there:
> http://lesstech.com/catalog/product_info.php/cPath/45/products_id/170

That's P2/400.  It should have both ISA and PCI slots.  Check the BIOS
to see if it has bootROM for the network card.  Otherwise, you'll need
3c905 ($40) or do floppyboot.

> I'll have the hard drives taken out since it appears that the network
> cards (10/100) PCI have a cable that attaches to the motherboard? Is
> this perhaps the boot from LAN that I'm hoping it is? The systems have
> floppy drives so it isn't too much of a problem.

I recommend getting one here, and trying out before going oversea. :-)

> One question: would gigabit from the server to the switch and then
> 100mbit to the terminals make things quicker than just plain 100mbit
> everywhere?

Yes.

--
William Park <opengeometry-FFYn/CNdgSA at public.gmane.org>, Toronto, Canada