Linux, Internet Cafe, Haiti...

Robert Brockway rbrockway-wgAaPJgzrDxH4x6Dk/4f9A at public.gmane.org
Tue Jan 17 05:00:10 UTC 2006

On Fri, 13 Jan 2006, Ivan Avery Frey wrote:

> Robert Brockway wrote:
>> On Sun, 8 Jan 2006, Jamon Camisso wrote:
>
> ------------- snip ----------------------------------
>
>>> Most of the computers came from the Canadian Government, with NT4.0 and
>>> the dx'es from the University of Ottawa with Novell something or other and
>>> Win3.1. All the computers have network cards, some with co-ax and others
>>> not. All are ISA of course.
>>
>> Yay.  Just pray they don't use isaPnP.  That never worked properly.
>
> Is that an issue with the 2.6 kernel? I have an ISA pnp SoundBlaster and

No, it goes way back.  The last time I use isaPnP was probably a 2.0 or
2.2 kernel but the real problem was in the hardware implementation.  If
that wasn't working the kernel couldn't do too much about it.

> Debian unstable magically started to support it after I had got tired of
> configuring it.

Sometimes it will work perfectly but often it won't.  Overall I found it
to be a net waste of time.

Cheers,

Rob

--
Robert Brockway B.Sc.        Phone:          +1-905-821-2327
Senior Technical Consultant  Urgent Support: +1-416-669-3073