Differencing Directories

Paul Sutton zen14920-1HOZaDBbGgxaa/9Udqfwiw at public.gmane.org
Mon Jan 16 20:09:03 UTC 2006

William O'Higgins Witteman wrote:

>Is there a stock tool for reporting the differences in directories?  I
>don't really want to have to roll my own if I don't have to, and I know
>that people have had this problem before.  Thanks.

I just tried this

diff /var/log /etc

and it tells me what is in either /var/log or /etc

Not qutie sure if /var/log is a good example,  this also works diff | du
/var/log /etc      and gives I guess file sizes, I would guess doing |
grep whatever would search for something within the search results.

Based on this, there is probably a combination of commands that will do
this,  or perhaps a small shell script, that would do it.

Paul