IBM laptop

James Knott james.knott-bJEeYj9oJeDQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Sun Jan 15 23:51:39 UTC 2006

Christopher Browne wrote:
> On 1/15/06, Evan Leibovitch <evan-ieNeDk6JonTYtjvyW6yDsg at public.gmane.org> wrote:
>> Christopher Browne wrote:
>>
>>> Well, the modern problem iis that IBM no longer sells laptops.
>>>
>>> They sold the laptop division (possibly the whole "PC Division") to Lenovo.
>>>
>>> That doesn't bode particularly well for Linux support;
>>>
>> I'm not sure why you would say this. Upon what is based the assumption
>> that Lenovo is less interested in Linux than IBM?
>
> This is based on the fact that Lenovo has bought what was the most
> Microsoft-centred division of IBM.
>
> A major reason for the failure of OS/2, back in the day, was the fact
> that you couldn't buy machines from the PC Division with OS/2.  The PC
> Division in effect was more tied to Microsoft than it was to the rest
> of IBM.

Actually, you could.  Several models were available with OS/2.  And
there was even a system, where, at first boot, you selected which OS you
wanted to use.  Also, one *BIG* reason why IBM stopped supporting OS/2,
was extortion by MS, when Windows 95 was released.  MS wouldn't let IBM
have a competitive price for Windows, unless they stopped marketing
OS/2.  This is described in the MS trial transcripts.