[tpm] Job interview question

Alex Beamish talexb-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Sun Jan 15 22:43:06 UTC 2006

On 1/12/06, Indy Singh <indy-k5e8U2l/CWTzIImvGDD8mw at public.gmane.org> wrote:

> You are driving along in your car on a wild, stormy night. You pass by a
> bus stop, and you see three people waiting for the bus:
>
> 1. An old lady who looks as if she is about to die.
> 2. An old friend who once saved your life.
> 3. The perfect man (or) woman you have been dreaming about.
>
> Which one would you choose to offer a ride to, knowing that there could
> only be one passenger in your car.
>
> Think before you continue reading. This is a moral/ethical dilemma that
> was once actually used as part of a job application.

Interesting question .. obviously, I don't think far enough outside the box.

I imagined stoppping, helping the old lady into the car, saying hello to my
old friend and asking the young lady for her phone number in case the bus
has come by the time I come back to pick her up.

That's a cute question, but it's tough to imagine using a brain teaser in an
interview situation unless you were trying to figure out if the candidate in
question was really quite smart (but having a bad day) or a dolt (but making
a lot of good guesses).

Alex