IBM laptop

Christopher Browne cbbrowne-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Sun Jan 15 03:39:49 UTC 2006

On 1/12/06, Marc Lijour <marc-bbkyySd1vPWsTnJN9+BGXg at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> I am after a good IBM laptop to do development (Java application server,
> Eclipse most of all) and of course to run my favorite Linux distro :-)
>
> What's the best one out there right now? I assume support for Linux >being optimum.
>
> Does somebody know of a good place/site where to buy it?

Well, the modern problem iis that IBM no longer sells laptops.

They sold the laptop division (possibly the whole "PC Division") to Lenovo.

That doesn't bode particularly well for Linux support; IBM had been
interested in this, but it now fades towards irrelevance.

I think I'd instead be inclined to look at other vendors, particularly
to look at those that sell laptops with Linux pre-loaded.

For instance, these guys sell several laptops with Linux preloaded...
<http://www.sub300.com/>

Their 12" screen unit with the Via Antaur processor (this used to be
the Cyrix line) seems attractive to me; it may be a bit wimpy,
RAM-wise, tho other choices are doubtless available.

That being said, the other laptop "getting on my head" is the 12"
iBook, which is mostly similar, specs-wise, to the Via Antaur
system...
"The true  measure of a  man is how he treats  someone who can  do him
absolutely no good." -- Samuel Johnson, lexicographer (1709-1784)