Getting hard drive serial number from USB devices

Madison Kelly linux-5ZoueyuiTZhBDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org
Sat Jan 14 23:34:42 UTC 2006

Peter wrote:

> What you are asking for is, for the usb-scsi driver to map the VPD
> request to something that the USB dongle will recognize and use to
> convert into an IDE parameter fetch, then code this as a VPD and send it
> back. Imho, the chances of that being implemented are about zero. But
> I'd be glad to be proven wrong. Maybe the dongle sends the data with the
> ID but the usb-scsi layer filters it out.
>
> Peter

Actually, that's exactly what looks like is happening... I know that the
serial number should be in the VPD at 0x80 (with a little more info at
0x83) but I just can't seem to read it. Admittedly my experience reading
devices directly is quite slim though, so here's to hoping I am missing
something. :p

In the mean time, I am now trying to figure out another way of uniquely
identifying a given hard drive other than it's serial number. *sigh* Do
you know the reason behind this not being available? Like, I can read
the serial number off my digital camera and it's a vfat partition over a
USB 1.1 link...

Madison

--
           Madison Kelly (Digimer)