OT: hotmail management

Fraser Campbell fraser-eicrhRFjby5dCsDujFhwbypxlwaOVQ5f at public.gmane.org
Sat Jan 14 22:23:45 UTC 2006

I came across this article yesterday and, though it is discussing the
management of Microsoft services, I thought it might still be
interesting for this group:

   A Conversation with Phil Smoot, The challenges of managing a
   megaservice, The Mount Everest of E-mail Services ...

   http://www.acmqueue.com/modules.php?name=Content&pa=showpage&pid=353

What I found very interesting is that an 11 year Microsoftie would say
the following:

   Our operations group never wants to rely on any sort of user
   interface. Everything has to be scriptable and run from some sort of
   command line. That’s the only way you’re going to be able to execute
   scripts and gather the results over thousands of machines.