IBM laptop

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Fri Jan 13 22:04:46 UTC 2006

On Fri, Jan 13, 2006 at 09:36:42AM -0500, Steve wrote:
> I've heard that *IBM* Thinkpads have pretty good Linux compatibility
> (Ubuntu, Debian, anyway), and I was just checking out IBM's
> "Certified" used thinkpads the other day:

Certainly in the past many of the not certified laptops were just about
imposible to get X running on for quite a while due to having ATI
mobility radeon chips with absolutely no drivers of any kind available,
and if you could get a driver, often the power saving would screw it up,
or something else would mess up.

Actually my experience tends to be ATI laptop graphics causes pain
unless the laptop is 2 or 3 years old when you start. :)

Len Sorensen