X, Network transparency and ssh

Robert Brockway rbrockway-wgAaPJgzrDxH4x6Dk/4f9A at public.gmane.org
Fri Jan 13 14:51:32 UTC 2006

On Fri, 13 Jan 2006, Lennart Sorensen wrote:

> Xvideo, Xshm and DGA and other such features are very handy for
> displaying large amounts of graphics very quickly and efficiently.
> Remote displays can't do any of them, and hence it makes perfect sense
> to not bother implementing any such things.  Running a compressed video

This certainly seems to be his position.  I don't agree that the
suboptimal nature of a remote display of TV is sufficient reason not to
implement the features once the core feature base is solid (which it is in
the case of tvtime).  I'd rather tvtime allow it to happen, perhaps with a
warning.  Of course this is OSS so a code fork is always an option :)

Xawtv allows the tv to display remotely of course and it works very well.

>> One solution which enables tvtime to run in a thin client environment is
>> to put tvtime _in_ the thin client and start it by sshing to the thin
>> client.
>
> Certainly makes more sense.

This is how I've done it in the past but it does reduce flexibility about
where you can display the tv tuner signal.

Cheers,

Rob

--
Robert Brockway B.Sc.		Phone:	+1-905-821-2327
Senior Technical Consultant		+1-416-669-3073