IBM laptop

Jason Shein jason-xgs8i/e9EeWTtA8H5PvdGCwD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Fri Jan 13 14:39:42 UTC 2006

On Friday 13 January 2006 00:56, Akshay Lamba wrote:
> On Fri, 2006-01-13 at 00:06 -0500, William Park wrote:
> > Have you considered Acer?  Because
> >     - IBM don't make laptops anymore, and
> >     - Acer seems to be very aggressive in retail store, right now.
>
> My knowledge of acer laptops are that they're pretty good for the
> amount. But compatibility with linux is really really bad. More so since
> I purchased a linux pre-installed laptop which I changed to ubuntu and
> could'nt get most of the things to work with no support available from
> wipro (the company that owns acer).

Posting this from an Acer Travelmate TM4402WLMi

Microsoft® Windows® XP Professional; AMD Turion™ 64 Mobile Technology ML-30;
512MB (512/0) DDR333 SDRAM; 100GB hard drive; integrated DVD-Super Multi
double-layer drive; 6-in-1 card reader; 15.4" WXGA (1280 x 800) TFT display;
ATI® MOBILITY™ RADEON® X700 graphics; 802.11b/g WLAN, gigabit LAN, V.92 modem

Everything works perfectly under Kubuntu Linux. Suspend to disk, suspend to
ram, power management, wireless, OpenGL, etc.

Approx 3 hours battery life as well.

--
Jason Shein
Director of Networking, Operations and Systems
jason-xgs8i/e9EeWTtA8H5PvdGCwD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
( 905 ) - 876 - 4158 Voice
( 905 ) - 876 - 5817 Mobile
http://www.detachednetworks.ca