X, Network transparency and ssh

Robert Brockway rbrockway-wgAaPJgzrDxH4x6Dk/4f9A at public.gmane.org
Fri Jan 13 07:18:10 UTC 2006

On Thu, 12 Jan 2006, Robert Brockway wrote:

> Hi all.  During the talk last night a question arose about streaming all
> of the graphical data to a thin client via ssh.  As noted last night
> this can be

Of course I meant Tuesday night, at the meeting.

> very cpu intensive.  I'm running a test at the moment that demonstrates
> this well.
>
> I'm currently running xawtv[1] over ssh to a thin client.  Xawtv is comsuming
> 56% cpu constantly on an Athlon-800 (avon).  Nothing else is happening on

Well xawtv itself was consuming about 9% cpu constantly.  The rest of the
time avon was idle.

> [1] tvtime refuses to start.  A bit of RTFM suggests that the tvtime author
> doesn't support remote display with tvtime.  This is a bit of a shame.  I
> think I'll have to bend his ear a bit :)

That's an Aussie saying for talking to him - I wasn't really going to bend
his ear ;)

Rob

--
Robert Brockway B.Sc.		Phone:	+1-905-821-2327
Senior Technical Consultant		+1-416-669-3073