Semi-OT: Voltage Reduction Test Announced by IESO

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Thu Jan 12 22:14:43 UTC 2006

On Thu, Jan 12, 2006 at 04:45:56PM -0500, Jamon Camisso wrote:
> Just a heads up for anyone without a UPS. Though I don't really know
> myself, but I can't see a 3-5% reduction in voltage damaging a
> powersupply. Sags are more daminging than spikes IIRC however? Should I
> be worried? I am for the fact that I don't have a UPS, but not because
> of this announcement, just in general.
>
> Regardless of what I think, more here:
> http://www.ieso.ca/imoweb/media/md_newsitem.asp?newsID=2699

Unless you have a very crappy power supply, 5% should be well within the
tolerances on input voltage.  Many power supplies will run anything
bwtween 100 and 250V as input and adjust automatically to generate the
correct output voltages.

Maybe years ago we had power supplies that would only run at 110 to 115V
or something, but I doubt that is the case with any modern power supply.

So looking just a little, something like an Antec TruePower 480 seems to
say it runs either 115 or 230V, although I am sure it has some
tolerance.  Meanwhile a PC Power and Colling TurboCool 510 has the input
range of 90 to 264V automatic with supposedly a .99 power factor.

Len Sorensen