Xenophobia (was Re:jobs in Linux / IT)

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Thu Jan 12 16:45:02 UTC 2006

On Thu, Jan 12, 2006 at 02:46:36AM -0500, Leigh Honeywell wrote:
> IMMIGRANTS, further specifiable as economic immigrants, on the other
> hand, have to have a proven track record of a) an education b) good
> physical health and c) a certain amount of funds (the exact amount
> escapes me but i have some recollection that it's over $100K), before
> we'll even let them into the country. Depending on their place of
> origin and education, they may end up driving cabs because their
> credentials (upon which we've allowed them in) aren't recognised by
> various professiona groups.  Even with the last point, however, we're
> still talking about a group that's by and large better off than
> refugees are when they get here.

Some immigrants gain entry based on being willing and able to invest a
certain amount of money in canada.  Others get in based on having
sufficiently desirable skills and education and language skills and an
offer of a job.

The second option is how my family got here.

The first option requires that you have at least $800000 net worth
(legally obtained they specify), and that you give them at least $400000
to be invested in canada.  You get back the money a little over 5 years
later, with no interest.  So it is a way for people with lots and lots
of money to buy entrance to the country.  Oh and you should have
business experience too, so I guess they expect you to go start your own
business or something too with the remaining money you have. :)

Len Sorensen