Adding one or two mods to an existing /lib/modules

Paul King pking123-rieW9WUcm8FFJ04o6PK0Fg at public.gmane.org
Thu Jan 12 00:26:03 UTC 2006

On Wed, 2006-01-11 at 09:35 -0500, Lennart Sorensen wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 11, 2006 at 12:21:11AM -0500, Paul King wrote:

> WHere did you download the kernel from?

ftp.ca.kernel.org, a *.tar.bz2 file

> If it wasn't a package from your distribution, then it isn't the same
> version/patches.

It is a matching version number: both are 2.6.12-1. Fedora adds an
additional ".1381_FC3" to the versioning.

Not even if I modify the LOCALVERSION variable to equal 1381_FC3? I
can't imagine the additional "1381_FC3" designation as making it so
totally different as to be incompatible. Does not the "6" refer to the
patchlevel, so that the sublevel "12-1" must be even less significant
than a patch level? And "1381_FC3" would be even less significant still?

> > And, all I want to do is to add one or two modules of the same version
> > to the /lib/modules/<kernel-version> tree. But doing insmod for this
> > module will not load it, because there is no dependency entry.
> >
> > How is this problem overcome? I can't find anything in the kernel docs
> > about loading one or two extra modules to an existing tree and updating
> > the dependencies. And of course there are other things I probably
> > haven't thought of.
>
> Simplest is probably yo get the source rpm for the kernel image, and
> changing the config to include the modules you want and building a new
> rpm from it.  That way you have a complete working rpm for your kernel.

Meaning that I would have to rebuild all the modules and redistribute them.

> I don't know if redhat has anything similar to debian's kernel-headers
> system, for building modules to match a given kernel, although that only
> really applies to out of tree kernel modules anyhow.

I am not sure either. I will check.

Paul King