jobs in Linux / IT

Christopher Browne cbbrowne-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Wed Jan 11 17:31:29 UTC 2006

On 1/11/06, Lennart Sorensen <lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 11, 2006 at 01:01:38AM -0800, Christopher Charles wrote:
> > Observing my employment record, would you say  I have
> > integrated?
> > Remember I have lived here for 30 years, most of my
> > life.  I went to high school here not to mention
> > college and university.
>
> Well I have lived here for 18 years, went to highschool and university
> here, and feel perfectly integrated.

Integration is a two way street, requiring things of both parties involved.

A xenophobic society (there are definitely plenty of those out there)
won't accept outsiders.  The fact that the RCMP has bent over
backwards to accept foreign headgear like turbans is certainly not a
data point that would support that Canada is particularly xenophobic.

But individuals also need to participate in the integration, too.
Presence is not enough; participation is necessary.  And people
(employers, especially) will be suspicious of those that appear to
have had a particular lack of success at integrating...
"The true  measure of a  man is how he treats  someone who can  do him
absolutely no good." -- Samuel Johnson, lexicographer (1709-1784)