Linux, Internet Cafe, Haiti...

Robert Brockway rbrockway-wgAaPJgzrDxH4x6Dk/4f9A at public.gmane.org
Tue Jan 10 08:30:02 UTC 2006

On Sun, 8 Jan 2006, Jamon Camisso wrote:

> For a server, there is a budget that was decided on by my predecessor who
> jumped ship at the last minute. I can't say what it is, but there is enough
> to build a fairly powerful whitebox (with backup components too) with as much
> RAM as I can stuff in.

Ah good to hear.

>> Well I prefer Debian, including in situations like this but any full
>> featured distro will be fine for the server.  Use your favourite.
>
> Actually, I had thought of it, but as someone else noted, Ubuntu sounds like
> it supports LTSP without any work whatsoever. That being said, I suppose
> there isn't much to an "apt-get install lpst-server" now is there. I like
> Debian more then Ubuntu anyways, so thanks for the tip.

I can definiately say LTSP is no trouble at all with Debian.  Apt-get the
packages and run ltspadmin.

>> You mean for the LAN?  As fast as you can make it.  100MBit switches are
>> cheap as chips here so put a couple and lots of Cat5e cable in your
>> suitcase.
>
> Just switches right? Sounds like any dlink/smc/linksys jobby will do the

Yep.  Low end home stuff will work fine for the number of clients you are
talking about.  If you had a big budget I'd suggest higher quality
components but even the limited budget the home stuff will do.

If you can split the thin clients across multiple subnets & switches.
Given the number of clients we're talking about a couple of switches will
be fine.  If you can't manage this, don't worry.

> trick just fine. Most hub/switch combinations (home routers I mean?) can be
> put into switch mode as well?

Any modern home router should start in switch mode.  You really don't want
the thin clients exposed to the external network though so keen them off
the router :)  Remember too that where true thin clients are concerned the
server doesn't actually need to route data.

Cheers,

Rob

--
Robert Brockway B.Sc.		Phone:	+1-416-669-3073
Senior Technical Consultant	Email:	support-wgAaPJgzrDxH4x6Dk/4f9A at public.gmane.org