Linux, Internet Cafe, Haiti...

William Park opengeometry-FFYn/CNdgSA at public.gmane.org
Mon Jan 9 01:41:28 UTC 2006

On Sun, Jan 08, 2006 at 07:54:08PM -0500, Jamon Camisso wrote:
> I'm going to be setting up an internet cafe in Haiti next month. The
> project is completely voluntary and I am almost solely responsible for
> the computery bits.
>
> I checked out all the donated hardware for the cafe today and found that
> there are about 10 working computers, ranging from 486dx's to 300mhz
> celerons. The machine with the most ram I could find had 64mb. With this
> in mind, my immediate thought is to use a terminal based system and
> simply purchase a decent server to run the whole operation.
>
> Most of the computers came from the Canadian Government, with NT4.0 and
> the dx'es from the University of Ottawa with Novell something or other
> and Win3.1. All the computers have network cards, some with co-ax and
> others not. All are ISA of course.
>
> My first question then: how hard will it be to get the computers to boot
> from the network and how much (if at all) will their aging components
> affect both their access to the server and operations on the server itself?

I doubt such vintage machines can do PXE boot.  Since they won't have
USB ports, even USB boot is out of question.  Your options are
    - floppy boot.  That is, load the kernel from floppy, then do
      NFS-root, then do thin-client.
    - harddisk boot.  Install bare minimum Linux on local harddisk, and
      boot from that.  Once booted, then do thin-client.

Since you're setting up "Internet browsers", you really don't need
central server at all.  Just install bare minimum Linux needed for
Firefox.

> My second question, which arises in part from the first: which distro(s)
> would work well in this proposed environment? My immediate thought is
> something like Fedora, SuSE, Ubuntu etc. My reasons for this are in part
> due to the fact that I'll be remotely checking in and troubleshooting
> and am familiar with those three distros, both as server and as desktop.

Just use your favourite one.  But, minimum install.

> My third question: what type of network would work best? The cafe will
> have a satellite connection and will be carrying multiple voip
> connections for international calls. For most users speed will not be
> much of an issue since in the area I'll be working (just outside
> Jacmel), there is absolutely no internet or international call
> capability, so anything is better than nothing.

Last time I used 10base2 (co-ax), it was okey.  You say, "some with coax
and other not".  Then, the cheapest way is to bring bunch of cheap
network cards with you.  FactoryDirect flyer says Netgear 10/100 $9.98
for 2.  I'm sure you can them cheaper.

> I'll try to make it out to the meeting this week? if anyone feels like
> giving me any advice or pointers.
>
> Thanks for any thoughts,
>
> Jamon

William Park <opengeometry-FFYn/CNdgSA at public.gmane.org>, Toronto, Canada