OT: Java web hosting

Christopher Browne cbbrowne-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Mon Jan 9 00:25:49 UTC 2006

On 1/8/06, Meng Cheah <meng-D1t3LT1mScs at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> Excuse my ignorance, I've tried "googling".
>
> What is the difference between Java web hosting and plain web hosting
> with say, PHP? I understand it involves JVM.
>
> Why is it that less companies offer it and it may cost more?
> Is more bandwidth involved and a different set of skills or complexity?

It's not so much the bandwidth as it is that you'll quite likely be
dominating usage of memory on the server.

Java tends to be a RAM-hog, particularly as you progress to using J2EE
and other "heavyweight frameworky" sorts of things.

> What is to stop someone running his or her own server and hosting
> Java-based apps?

Nothing.

The difference is essentially that with "plain old web hosting" where
you're serving static files and *possibly* running a bit of
Perl/Python/PHP is something where 15 clients could, in principle,
share the same server.

In contrast, it isn't tough to get to the point where traffic dictates
having multiple Java application servers...
"The true  measure of a  man is how he treats  someone who can  do him
absolutely no good." -- Samuel Johnson, lexicographer (1709-1784)