Adding icons to Gnome/KDE menus

Madison Kelly linux-5ZoueyuiTZhBDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org
Sun Jan 8 18:09:08 UTC 2006

Hi all,

   I've been trying to find information on adding an item to the Gnome
(and later KDE) panels for my program. I found how to manually add an
icon using "Applications Menu Editor" but even grep'ing for strings in
it didn't help...

   I have an installer script that, well, installs the program. I would
like to add the option to the installer to have a menu icon added that
would call the user's default browser of choice pointing to the program
(ie: 'firefox http://localhost:853/cgi-bin/tle-bu.cgi'). The problem I
have is that I have no idea how to do this from the command line.

   From the best I could gather so far, I need to put a text file
somewhere in '/usr/share/gnome??'. Can anyone give me any pointers?

   I've tried google and google groups and I've looked through the Gnome
docs and FAQs on their page without luck... Of course, the program and
the installer are written in perl. :p

Thanks in advance!!

Madison

--