OT: non-commercial open source license?

Evan Leibovitch evan-ieNeDk6JonTYtjvyW6yDsg at public.gmane.org
Sun Jan 8 15:08:16 UTC 2006

Sy Ali wrote:

>On 1/4/06, Aaron Vegh <aaronvegh-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org> wrote:
>

>>So the question became: is there an open source licence that would
>>restrict use to personal only, and not commercial?
>>

>While everyone goes off into their tangents, if I ignore "open source"
>then the short answer is yes..

Please don't be insulting to other answers, just because you have your
own (which dismisses the question in the process).

The short answer to the original question is that you can have a license
that restricts commercial use _or_ one that's open source -- the two
concepts are mutually exclusive.

The so-called "tangents" attempt to explain the differences between the
two possible paths.

- Evan