LIRC - Linux Infrared Remote Control.

Colin McGregor colinmc151-bJEeYj9oJeDQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Fri Jan 6 20:04:46 UTC 2006

I am taking a close look at LIRC (Linux Infrared
Remote Control) program, which allows you to use a TV
remote control to control your Linux based machine,
something great for MythTV and/or presentation
software such as Kpresenter. My motive in all this is
two-fold, it is interesting technology and yes I have
an article in mind for what I am doing.

Now, one of the things I want to look at is home-brew
infrared detectors. The LIRC website offers several
neat/simple detector designs, all with one common
problem. The big issue is the actual detector chip is
a @#$% to find locally. There are several chips that
can be used and yes, I have tried all the usual
suspects (Active Surplus, Active Components, Sayle,
etc.), but I have come up empty handed each time.

So, a few questions:

- Does anyone know a local source for any of the
detectors in the following webpage:
http://www.lirc.org/receivers.html

- Barring a local source, would anyone be interested
in doing a mail order run then splitting the shipping
charges?

- The circuit shown in
http://www.lirc.org/receivers.html is simple (and can
be made simpler, there are voltage regulators that
don't require the protective diode D1 :-) ). Still,
for publication I would want a SIMPLE circuit drawing
program. Suggestions?

- Likewise, would there be any interest in doing a PC
board for the above? This would be done again with a
view towards publication.

Colin McGregor