ActionScript as a teaching language

Stewart C. Russell scruss-rieW9WUcm8FFJ04o6PK0Fg at public.gmane.org
Fri Jan 6 13:31:37 UTC 2006

Lennart Sorensen wrote:

> Strongly typed languages help avoid many bugs since the
> compiler just won't accept the code in most cases if it isn't right.

But negative reinforcement isn't a great way to learn. Strong typing
maybe be a boon for the production programmer, but for everyone else, it
gets in the way.

> Did you just use perl and obvious in the same sentence?

Yeah, I did -- but I did say that its syntax could be odious. But what
is obvious about Perl's use of structures is that you can add members at
random places at any time, without having to worry about memory
allocation and other low-level details.

I guess I never was cut out to be a computer scientist or kernel hacker,
but I get the things done I need to get done.

  Stewart