UML vs. vserver vs. xen

Adam Tworkowski adam-+Gnyv3l5ckaNFgfkp0FINA at public.gmane.org
Thu Jan 5 13:21:33 UTC 2006

Hey Dan,

I attempted something like this with xen several months ago on Sarge.
My plan was to use a xen host which did nothing but act as a
controller.  The guests were a firewall, fileserver (private) and
mail/web server (dmz).  I would have to dig up my specs but LVM2 was
also involved.  The guests seemed pretty heavily taxed (w/o any services
running).  Typing had visible lag in the guest ttys.  My major gripe was
the complexity with the networking which involved a mess of virtaul
ether devices (dummy, bridged) to basically create a "switch".  I did
manage to get it working (correctly) but when I went to move from drive
set (raid1) from the temporary hardware to the final hardware, I faced
some issues.  If I remember correctly the issues involved raid and lvm2
and were not specifically Xen.  Because of this issue (which I could
have recovered from) and with the relative "slowness" of the virtual
servers, and the complexity of the network, made me question whether I
really  wanted to  have  my "important" data  mail, photos, personal
files, etc. host an a system that seemed to have so many possible points
of failure.  I decided to shelve the project (temporarily) due to the
performance hit and relative complexity in recovering from an issue.

Adam