What's the state of open source PVRs?

Paul Mora paulmora-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Thu Jan 5 02:10:20 UTC 2006

On 1/4/06, Colin McGregor <colinmc151-bJEeYj9oJeDQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org> wrote:

> So, unlike GTALug'er Paul Mora who I gather has set-up
> a 100% MythTV machine in his living room, my MythTV
> box is expected to do multiple duties.

My original intent was to have the MythTV box  act as my Internet web
server, music collection server, Samba server, email server (POP/IMAP) as
well as do the TV duties.

It may eventually get to that point.  But the box has become somewhat
"mission critical" in my house.  Whenever I screw it up (as my dear wife
says), I get in lots of trouble.  So for right now, it is MythTV and nothing
else.

There's no reason why I couldn't run the other stuff there too... it
basically sits there and does nothing.  The CPU is barely used due to the
dual Hauppauge cards doing all the compression/decompression in hardware.

I am however contemplating building another one, perhaps as a client for
upstairs on the second TV and making the main one the "backend server".

pm

--
Paul Mora
email: paulmora-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org