OT: non-commercial open source license?

G. Matthew Rice matt-s/rLXaiAEBtBDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org
Wed Jan 4 21:45:36 UTC 2006

Paul Sutton <zen14920-1HOZaDBbGgxaa/9Udqfwiw at public.gmane.org> writes:
> With the GPL can't you charge a reasonable amount for the code to say cover
> costs..

I don't think that the word 'reasonable' is used ;)

Also, if you have a derived work or just use some GPL'ed code in your
product, you can also charge whatever you like.

Just look at the various distro prices.  Almost identical software but prices
range from free to $1000s.

> Also with the gpl don't you have to also publish what changes you
> have made, to the original code,

No.  You have to make the new code available to anyone that gets the
'product'.  Of course, it's easier to just make it downloadable but you don't
have to.

If the code never leaves your biz, you have no obligations to spread it
around.

> and say this is different to the original
> version  if you are going to relase your own version,

No.  I don't think so.  It is polite to rename it or indicate that it is
different, though.

Regards,
--
g. matthew rice <matt-s/rLXaiAEBtBDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org>           starnix, toronto, ontario, ca
phone: 647.722.5301 x242                                  gpg id: EF9AAD20