var is mysteriously clogged

Paul Mora paulmora-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Wed Jan 4 02:41:19 UTC 2006

Of course, my other big "problem" is that Linux is both a hobby, and work,
to me.  I depend on it for my livelihood, as well as enjoy hacking around in
it getting oddball stuff to work with it.

It's just that I don't have the time I used to have to fight with it.  I
remember spending literally  _days_ getting drivers to work; compiling the
latest kernel; reinstalling the distro back before RPM and DEB existed.
None of that time was wasted; it was a lot of fun.  Sort of like tinkering
with an old automobile.

But, nowadays, there just isn't the time to hack.  I don't know how some of
these people do it, with kids, job, and other commitments.  So when I want
to do something with Linux, I want it to work rather quickly.

When I built my MythTV box, I had to schedule a day (a WHOLE DAY) on the
calendar, and have my wife take the two kids out somewhere for the day, so I
could be left in peace to get it done.  I got everything ready the week
before, so that when the day came, I was totally ready and dedicated to the
project.  I never used to have to go to those lengths.  :-)

pm

--
Paul Mora
email: paulmora-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org