Sterilizing free space

Sy Ali sy1234-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Wed Jan 4 02:13:36 UTC 2006

On 1/3/06, Christopher Browne <cbbrowne-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> If there is a "formal" need for 'wiping,' then the answer probably
> involves making sure that you have expertise and equipment inside your
> organization that can be used to outright DESTROY the hardware, down
> to the point of grinding the disks into powder.
>
> If you haven't reason to be that paranoid, then it is probably
> over-paranoid to even go as far as using /dev/urandom to "wipe" the
> disk.
>
> I don't see there being a stable mid-point...

First, thanks for the tips everyone.. I've updated my notes to include
the new ideas.

I've disassembled a hard drive and scratched the crap out of it..
that's made me happy enough.  Processes like those are especially
useful in cases where the drive dies and its data can't be sanitized
in these traditional direct-access ways.

It makes it quite inconvenient to return a hard drive under warranty
if it doesn't spin up and the data has to be sanitized.  Heh.