Question about Slackware and Package Management

William Park opengeometry-FFYn/CNdgSA at public.gmane.org
Tue Jan 3 20:34:39 UTC 2006

On Tue, Jan 03, 2006 at 10:15:41AM -0500, Steve wrote:
> I am interested in trying Slackware, however I am curious as to how
> package management works with it. Am I correct in assuming that
> anything you want to install, you download the tarball and use make
> and install? Are there any dependency problems? Is it up to the user
> to make sure all required packages are present... will the install
> process alert you to this?
>
> I'm used to things like yum and apt-get so that is why I am wondering
> what to do with Slackware.
>
> Thanks for any info.

Slackware uses .tgz (tar'ed and gzip'ed) file as vehicle for packages.
In addition to files to be installed, it has script to be run after the
files are installed, usually for creating symbolic links, moving
files, running 'depmod', etc.

So, normally, you do
    installpkg xxx.tgz
It will install files, run 'doinst.sh', and prints log to
    /var/log/packages/xxx

You can do this manually, like
    cd /
    tar -xzf xxx.tgz