linux networking ethernet and wireless

Jamon Camisso jamon.camisso-H217xnMUJC0sA/PxXw9srA at public.gmane.org
Tue Jan 3 19:29:28 UTC 2006

Lennart Sorensen wrote:
> I have tried that, and it does connect.  You have to do all the steps
> again if you ever drop the connection for a moment though.  There didn't
> seem to be any daemon around to auto reconnecting with wpa.  I kinda
> gave up at that point (having never been a wireless fan) and let my wife
> sense on linux.
>
> Writing a script to check if it can ping the gateway, and if not run:
> wpa_suplicant
> dhcpclient
> some other step in there I don't recall
>
> ... is just too ugly a hack for me to accept.

Which version of wpa_supplicant are you using? I've got 0.4.5 working
without any problems at all. I've no idea if it runs in daemon mode (I
should think it does), but you might check to see if it is on your
system. Also, the init script has to be called before the rest of your
networking scripts if you want it to work on startup without any hassles.

Jamon