Optimized distro for i686

Robert Brockway rbrockway-wgAaPJgzrDxH4x6Dk/4f9A at public.gmane.org
Tue Jan 3 09:53:38 UTC 2006

On Fri, 30 Dec 2005, Christopher Browne wrote:

> The trouble is that sometimes bugs emerge when you use unusual
> compiler options; figuring out what flags are safe is something of a
> package-by-package thing.  Universally applying all the same compiler
> options everywhere doesn't work.

I would revise this by saying "universally applying all the same compiler
options everywhere" might not work.  Of course even "might not work" is
highly undesirable.  Aggressive optimisation and various other compiler
flags can make significant changes in resulting code.

> It's not at all obvious that the result will actually be meaningfully
> faster.  For instance, database apps tend to have disk I/O as their
> bottleneck, and changing compiler options can't change that.

Bingo.

System optimisation is a complex issue and it's entirely possible that the
changes caused by recompiling everything may save you nothing (or even
make things worse).  It's important to know what the performance problem
is before selecting a solution.

Cheers,

Rob

--
Robert Brockway B.Sc.		Phone:	+1-416-669-3073
Senior Technical Consultant	Email:	support-wgAaPJgzrDxH4x6Dk/4f9A at public.gmane.org