var is mysteriously clogged

Paul King pking123-rieW9WUcm8FFJ04o6PK0Fg at public.gmane.org
Tue Jan 3 04:30:38 UTC 2006

I have had those feelings too. And for me it is more because the computer has
become for me less of a play-toy and more of a tool to use for serious work. It
has become increasingly central to what I am doing at work and also at home.

All would have been right with my world had everything stood still at kernel
1.2.13, and programmers made their s/w using only static libs. An excellent
example is version 6 ov WordPerfect for Linux, which doesn't care what version of
glibc you use or about the kernel or hardware. All functionality is internal to
their own static libs.

Since kernel version 2.4 things have gotten increasingly complex for me - both
with Linux and other aspects of my life. And so I haven't been able to take the
time to learn the new stuff. ANd recently I haven't updated my Linux versions. I
am still at Fedora 3, and plan to stay there for quite a while. It appears as
though things are coming along slowly for me, but I have been able to configure
email, my palm pilot, and several other things quite successfully.

I think now what I have, like it or not, has become the household equivalent of a
mission-critical system, which would be better off left alone rather than subject
to hardware upgrades (unless something blows) or wholesale linux reinstallations.
After years of, like you, shoe-horning Linux into tons of hardware, I have
instead begun to feel that the real intent of an operating system is to actually
use it. I will probably still spend long periods getting software "xyz" to work,
but that only has to be done once, and it only becomes a pain for me if I have to
do it again on new hardware within a short period. I have no plans on doing that
for some time.

Paul King

On 2 Jan 2006 at 21:09, Paul Mora (Paul Mora <tlug-lxSQFCZeNF4 at public.gmane.org>) spaketh these wourdes: