Some grub questions

Paul Mora paulmora-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Tue Jan 3 01:51:10 UTC 2006

On 1/2/06, Kihara Muriithi <william.muriithi-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org> wrote:

> Why does Linux need the file initrd.img-2.6.* ? My understanding is,
> its where the kernel is hosted and end up on the swap partation when
> the system is up. Now what doesn't add up is why save it in the hard
> disk, instead of making a copy right from the Kernel while the system
> is going up?

The initrd image file contains kernel modules that are required for the root
filesystem  to be enabled on boot.  Most distributions compile the
filesystem drivers as loadable modules instead of statically in the kernel.
However, on boot, the kernel has no way of accessing these modules, because
they sit on the disk.

The initrd image is, essentially, a very small root filesystem which just
contains the modules needed to mount the root filesystem.  Once that's done,
it gets tossed. (It's actually a gzip compressed ext2 filesystem; you can
uncompress and mount it to see what's inside).

I have been googling about for update-grub scripts. The articles out

> there mention it when discussing other topics, but I haven't come
> across an article with the script as the primary subject. Anyone know
> of such an article for a curious person?

Not sure what you're looking for here.  Scripts that auto-update grub?

finally, what designate a root partation. My understanding is its the
> partation that holds /sbin/init. Now, my default ubantu installation
> pointed the root to partation 5, while init was on partation 1,
> throwing the whole hypothesis out of the window. How can one explain
> that configuration. See your /boot/grub/menu.list for what I am saying
> if I happen to be ambiguous.

You're getting confused between the Linux "root" filesystem, and the GRUB
"root" partition.  They are totally different.  In GRUB, the "root"
directive always points to the partition where the kernel and initrd image
files are located.  If, during installation, a partition was created for
"/boot", then that's the device GRUB will use for the "root" directive.
This is what Ubuntu does during installation.  If /boot is in the / (root)
filesystem, then it will point there.

pm

--
Paul Mora