var is mysteriously clogged

Sy Ali sy1234-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Mon Jan 2 16:38:50 UTC 2006

On 1/1/06, David C. Chipman <dchipman-rYHPKw+MWrk at public.gmane.org> wrote:
>         Hi Sy,
>
>                 I just have one thing to say: Ladies and gentlemen, we have a crybaby on the list. Sy, if you don't want to figure things out, go back to Windows. It's perfect for you! Later,

I don't take offense at this at all..

I don't want to /have/ to figure things out.  When I want to, then the
ability should be there.  Linux is now almost at that balance.. so I
can not waste my time when I don't have any to figure random crap out,
and when I do have time I can spelunk into the depths of the system as
my heart desires.

Windows was great to set up and get working, but it never stayed
working for me, nor was it particularly forthcoming when I wanted to
fiddle around.  It was a ceiling when I was inspired to work harder to
learn stuff.

Linux was the other way around.. to get the basic things working, like
X support.. I had to have mystical knowledge (like video chipset info,
without having native tools to learn that) before I could use the
system like a regular user.

Again, thankfully there is more of a balance, so I can get a system to
actually work straight out of the box, and be a regular user.. and
then take spare time to learn more as I see fit, instead of being
forced to spend hours on troubleshooting what a simple reboot can fix.

Sure, it's offensive to want to take a shortcut and not want to learn
from a problem.. but it lets me get on with my life.  I've seen
bunches of mysteries, some of which I've never solved.. and I'm
learning to not spend time in situations where that time won't pay
off.

waah waahh.. I want my system to work for me.. waah it shouldn't be
hard waah  =p