ActionScript as a teaching language (fwd)

Peter plp-ysDPMY98cNQDDBjDh4tngg at public.gmane.org
Sun Jan 1 03:59:26 UTC 2006

Hmm, I wrote this message and it did not make it onto the list ? I send
it again here:

>> Another option would be Erlang.
>>
>> It has much of the "Prolog nature," notably including the notion that
>> data is immutable, once values have been determined.  In effect, you
>> don't have "variables;" you bind values to names.
>>
>> Unlike Prolog, which generally tries to be as near as possible to
>> untyped (sort of like Perl and Tcl), Erlang is strongly typed.  It is
>> similar to ML in that type information can commonly be inferred; you
>> often do not need to declare the types.
>>
>> And there are substantial applications written in Erlang; Ericsson has
>> been known to implement phone switches in the language, which is an
>> enormously-parallel application if there ever was one.
>
> It boggles rational mind that such esoteric languagues could even be
> mentioned in the context of High School computer cirriculum.

But ... that 'interactive geometry' package that they are using is in fact a
heavily watered-down version of Matlab or Scilab, yes ?

Also Logo, Lisp and Prolog can be said to be birds of a feather (with Logo
requiring the least typing, followed by Prolog and followed by Lisp after a
large gap).

Then there is this Smalltalk based environment for children I found. It runs as
a plugin in a browser:

http://www.squeakland.org/

I am impressed (but the screen size works out wrong under my window manager).

Peter