ActionScript as a teaching language

Paul King pking123-rieW9WUcm8FFJ04o6PK0Fg at public.gmane.org
Sun Jan 1 02:32:53 UTC 2006

On 31 Dec 2005 at 15:42, Peter (Peter <tlug-lxSQFCZeNF4 at public.gmane.org>) spaketh these wourdes:

> On Sat, 31 Dec 2005, Stewart C. Russell wrote:
> > If I were to be teaching a language, I'd want:
> > * block structure

OK

> > * painless associative arrays/hashes (computers aren't just about
> >   numbers)

OK, but you still need an numerically-indexed array to show them first, so that
they can see why this is a good idea (and why sometimes it is not).

> > * typelessness, for the most part (1 equals "1"; don't make me
> >   have to worry about details)

No dice. You need to teach data types as part of the Ontario curriculum (the fact
that some teachers are probably still teaching QBasic notwithstanding).

> > * flexible and obvious data structure definition/use (I love Perl's
> >   flexibility here, but the syntax would be odious to explain)

It seems that the "ideal" language would have to strike a compromise between
"flexible" and "obvious". The more room for "flexibility", the less room for
"obviousness".

> > * simple graphics capabilities (maybe I'm showing my age here, but
> >   the ability to draw stuff without having to worry about OS
> >   dependencies would be a big help; people like pretty pictures)

Turing has had that capability, but is falling out of fashion in many schools in
favour of Flash.

Paul King