spellcheck in openoffice not working

Daniel Armstrong dwarmstrong-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Tue Feb 28 18:45:16 UTC 2006

On 2/28/06, interlug-vSRlqIl1h/9eoWH0uzbU5w at public.gmane.org <interlug-vSRlqIl1h/9eoWH0uzbU5w at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> On Tuesday 28 February 2006 12:33, Daniel Armstrong wrote:
> > When I use Spellcheck in OpenOffice, it returns a message stating
> > there are no errors in the text, even after I deliberately misspell
> > words to check its functionality.
>
> I've had this when I first tried to use EN_CA dictionary, rather than EN_US.
>
> Look in Tools >> Options >> Language Settings >> Languages
>
> Under default "languages for documents" you should have English (Canada)
> selected in the "Western" row.  Does the selector have a little "ABC
> {checkmark}" icon on the left side?  If it does, the dictionary is installed
> and I don't know what problem you are having.
>
> If that icon is missing, you need to install the Canadian English dictionary.
> It is shipped separately.  Even though the language is listed.  I know.
> Nice.
>
> Get your dictionary here.  The automated dictionary wizard appears to be
> broken.
> http://lingucomponent.openoffice.org/dictpack.html

Still not working. Steps taken so far:

1/ Checked the default "languages for documents"... indeed, I was
missing the little 'ABC' checkmark icon, so I...

2/ Downloaded the Canadian English dictionary from the site you
indicated, unzipped, and moved the files into
/usr/share/myspell/dicts/ where the other dictionaries reside.

3/ Ran 'update-openoffice-dicts' as root, it returns a message of
updating the dictionary list, but when I check
/etc/openoffice/dictionary.lst, nothing has changed.

How do I get OpenOffice to recognize there is a Canadian dictionary now present?