MP3 Players

Colin McGregor colinmc151-bJEeYj9oJeDQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Tue Feb 28 11:53:51 UTC 2006

--- John Moniz <john.moniz-rieW9WUcm8FFJ04o6PK0Fg at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> My daughter is hoping for an MP3 player for her
> birthday. I just checked
> the Sony line at their store and started losing
> interest in the Sony
> products when the salesman insisted I was required
> to use the Sony PC
> software to load music to the player (it compresses
> the songs even
> further, supposedly). I couldn't get past the point
> with him that I was
> not going to use his proprietary software.
>
>  From people's experiences, do any of the USB MP3
> players get recognized
> as a drive in Linux so I can do a simple MP3 file
> transfer? Are there
> any players known to be trouble with Linux?

The VAST majority of USB MP3 players are seen as USB
external drives to Linux. The magic question to ask
the sales munchkins is "Do I need a driver program to
make this work with Windows 2000?". There was
strangeness with Windows 98 and external USB drives,
so if there is a Windows 98 driver disk, no problem.
If no driver is required for Windows 2000 you know the
device will look/act just like an external memory key
or external hard drive. The reverse is obvious, if a
driver disk is required for use with Windows 2000 (and
there are a small number of such devices out there),
run, don't walk away.

Colin McGregor