Powerpoint Bloat

James Knott james.knott-bJEeYj9oJeDQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Tue Feb 28 04:08:47 UTC 2006

phiscock-g851W1bGYuGnS0EtXVNi6w at public.gmane.org wrote:
> I recently had occasion to move a presentation from Microsoft Powerpoint
> format to Open Office Presentation format. Comparing two presentations of
> roughly the same complexity, both containg jpg images and text, the
> Powerpoint file, which was created using Microsoft Powerpoint is a full
> *ten* times larger than the Presentation file: approximately 22 megs vs
> 2.5 megs.
>
> When I save the file from Open Office Presentation in Powerpoint format,
> it's approximately the same size as the Presentation file. My guess: the
> original Powerpoint file uses one word per pixel and bit-maps the images.
>
> There is a compression utility available in Powerpoint, and when used it
> produced a zero-length file. Either it's incredibly effective at
> compression ;) or it's defective.

Surely you wouldn't think that Sir Billy would sell defective software.  ;-)

Actually, one thing that's part of the open document format, which OO
uses, it zip compression.  You can actually change the file extention to
.zip and then unzip the file, to see the contents.  There's a brief
description of the file format, in the OO user guide.