find usage

Kevin Cozens kcozens-qazKcTl6WRFWk0Htik3J/w at public.gmane.org
Mon Feb 27 19:29:12 UTC 2006

Kihara Muriithi wrote:
> Sorensen suggestion fixed it
> # find / -xdev -name *ldif
> /usr/share/doc/python-ldap-2.0.6/Demo/Lib/ldif

If you are going to use wildcards when searching for files you should enclose
the pattern in double quotes to prevent the shell from expanding the wildcard
and possibly passing a lot of things to the program other than what you intended.

ie.
# find / -xdev -name "*ldif"

I also tend to add -print at the end (perhaps its just habit more than
something that is necessary).

--
Cheers!

Kevin.

http://www.interlog.com/~kcozens/ |"What are we going to do today, Borg?"
Owner of Elecraft K2 #2172        |"Same thing we always do, Pinkutus: