Cheap/free CNC Machine Access...

Kevin Cozens kcozens-qazKcTl6WRFWk0Htik3J/w at public.gmane.org
Mon Feb 27 19:10:01 UTC 2006

Colin McGregor wrote:
> Well, I don't claim to be very artistic, but figuring
> my way through creating a CAD file that has a Tux
> image from say:
>
> http://www.isc.tamu.edu/~lewing/linux/
>
> reduced down to say 21 mm ... that I think I can do...
> basically tell the machine if it is black mill it out
> to a depth of x mm...

You are looking for something along the lines of the bottom left image on that
web page? How thick would the black areas be compared to the white areas? It
should be fairly easy hard to create a basic 3D model using that image as a
guide. I have both Rhino 3D (surface modeller) and IronCAD (solid modeller).
Would the CNC machine accept an IGES file for import or do you need something
else? The programs I use can output several different file formats.

--
Cheers!

Kevin.

http://www.interlog.com/~kcozens/ |"What are we going to do today, Borg?"
Owner of Elecraft K2 #2172        |"Same thing we always do, Pinkutus: