Laptops for Linux - video chipset

Paul Sutton zen14920-1HOZaDBbGgxaa/9Udqfwiw at public.gmane.org
Mon Feb 27 16:48:49 UTC 2006

regarding video chipsets,  the kanotix website www.kanotix.org had the
advice,  the newest apt-get upgrade, apt-get dist upgrade, (if this bit
is wrong, you know what I mean i just don't have the correct syntax to
hand)   pulls in x.org 6.9, this works fine with nvidia chips but not
with ati chipsets as yet.

I guess nvidia would be a good option to go for,   I have found that
once the nvidia drivers are installed they work fine,  with debian sid
(kanotix) there is a script that pulls the driver from the net, and
installs,  that works great,  having previousy had suse, the same
process seems far more complex expecting users to actually set things up
with sax / yast manually,  which i did eventually but got me thinking if
I struggle, i would hate to be a total newbie, with zero experience of
Linux.

So it's not just a case of chipset / driver, it could be down to
individual distros.  seems debian have got it right,  and if the latest
one works with sid it should work with stable,

Paul

http://www.zleap.net
http://www.openoffice.org
http://www.linux.org