TOC Linux

Paul Sutton zen14920-1HOZaDBbGgxaa/9Udqfwiw at public.gmane.org
Mon Feb 27 16:38:27 UTC 2006

Have a look at this site, it may be useful for your project,  but
remember to list all sources of informatiion in a bibliography,   The
article near the top on the right hand side, may be interesting,

# Why OSS/FS? Look at the Numbers! (Paper) [Popular]
# Why FLOSS? Look at the Numbers! (Presentation) [Popular]

http://www.dwheeler.com/

I guess one thing to consier is

1. If you replace Linux on the server, this is only a few computers,
and as your a technican you are able to learn the software,
2. If you replace windows on the desktop, you are dealing with users (I
am in no way suggesting users are incapable, I know  people who use
computers but would rather, not,  use them,  where as others are a bit
more open to chanage, while other users, are technically minded and will
fiddle, and learn and be happy with a good manual on the software and
don't need much help) suddenly expecting people used to windows and MS
office to start using Linux / Open offiice isa big jump for some, while
not for others,  so I guess you should take this into consideration

Perhaps price out gradual changes, i.e change MS office to Openoffice at
the next upgrade cycle,  or even before that give copies of Open office
away to staff, and help them learn (books like sams tys openoffice.org
are a good start.  and I guess reasonable price.

Retraining costs, to the new software, lots of people can train staff in
MS office, therefore a company that can train on OO.org may take
advantage of what they see as a smaller market and charge more.  Take
into account in house or external training.

Retraining HR staff to look out for people with Linux desktop and Open
office skills.   How many people are able to just switch,  I have no
problem with this but Im 30 and have been using computers for long
enough now to be able to just move to new platforms/

Bye toc I assume you meant TCO (Total Cost of Ownership),  you could
look at costs of virus / spyware infection. etc.  And generally when are
you going to make the changes,  how long will this take,  and if you
have to close the office, will the company lose money,  and is this
ofset by the overall savings of using Linux on the desktop.

Another thing on the desktop is - full desktop install vs ltsp,
benefits,  and overall cost of mainenance, i.e with ltsp is centralised,
and centralised data storage, therefore if a users computer breaks down,
just take it out of the network and plug in a working one,  all user
data, settings are pulled from central server.

Are these suggestions any help.

Paul

--
http://www.zleap.net