Mounting File System

Christopher Browne cbbrowne-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Fri Feb 24 16:29:14 UTC 2006

On 2/24/06, Slack Rat <slackrat-39ZsbGIQGT5GWvitb5QawA at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> What happens is that no matter how I chown and chmod the mountpoint,
> after mounting root owns it with permissions set at 0755; the original
> owner and permissions at the mountpoint not really counting for anything
> much unless the mountpoint is also used for some other purpose besides a
> simple mountpoint.
>
> But the root ownership and 0755 permissions are the real problem and
> manipulating the fstab never changes what happens after mounting.
>
> I was under the impression that noauto,users,rw would be sufficient and
> in fact have used that for years but all I get is an "only root can
> mount blah blah"
>
> I'm setting up a new portable and only recently perceived  the problem
>
> And yes, I have been from one end to the other of man fstab(5) and mount(8)
>
> Possibly I have done something stupid, but the solution eludes me..........

My setup is the following:

cbbrowne at dba2:~/DBA/dba-tools/cfengine$ grep vfat /etc/fstab
/dev/sdb1        /mnt/usb vfat rw,noauto,users,user
/dev/sdb2	/mnt/ipod	vfat	rw,noauto,users,user

The "user" option is separate from "users"; it looks to me as though
that may be the answer...

>From "man 8 mount"

              user   Allow an ordinary user to mount  the  file  system.   The
                     name  of  the mounting user is written to mtab so that he
                     can unmount the file system again.  This  option  implies
                     the  options noexec, nosuid, and nodev (unless overridden
                     by  subsequent   options,   as   in   the   option   line
                     user,exec,dev,suid).

              users  Allow  every  user  to mount and unmount the file system.
                     This option implies the options noexec, nosuid, and nodev
                     (unless  overridden  by  subsequent  options,  as  in the
                     option line users,exec,dev,suid).
"The true  measure of a  man is how he treats  someone who can  do him
absolutely no good." -- Samuel Johnson, lexicographer (1709-1784)