Security of Open Source ASP Implementations

Ken Burtch kburtch-Zd07PnzKK1IAvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Fri Feb 24 15:30:13 UTC 2006

On Fri, 2006-02-24 at 10:08 -0500, Leigh Honeywell wrote:
> On 2/24/06, Ken Burtch <kburtch-Zd07PnzKK1IAvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> > I had a job interview yesterday with a well-known Toronto non-profit
> > organization.  They had been running Linux but had decided to outsource
> > their IT requirements to Bell (or a Bell affiliate).  As part of the
> > deal, the organization is required to switch to all Microsoft products
> > and Active Server Pages.  This is partly because Bell has a business
> > agreement with Microsoft not to support rival products like Linux.  But
> > when asked about open source ASP products, the organization was told
> > that they were "insecure".
> >
> > Just curious but does anyone know anything about security issues
> > regarding any of the open source ASP implementations?  Say, versus
> > Microsoft ASP (that is, IIS)?
> >
> > Ken B.
>
> That's... absurd.  I know Fusepoint's pro services people do Linux
> support.  They're partly owned by Bell.

I don't know if they are working, or are aware of, Fusepoint.

If it was a Bell affiliate with Linux consultants, the claim of
insecurity might just be FUD to push the organization towards Microsoft
products for some other reason: perhaps, a lack of available
consultants.  Who knows?

I was just curious if anyone experienced open source ASP issues or if it
was FUD.  Does anyone know the names of Linux ASP products so I can do a
CERT.org search for security advisories?

Ken B.

> Though they insist on using sendmail, yeetch.
>
> -Leigh
Ken O. Burtch                                     Phone: 905-562-0848
Author "Linux Shell Scripting with Bash"            Fax: 905-562-0848
http://www.pegasoft.ca                            Email: ken-8VyUGRzHQ8IsA/PxXw9srA at public.gmane.org