Promoting Linux before release of vista

Scott Elcomb psema4-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Fri Feb 24 07:11:33 UTC 2006

On 2/23/06, Amos H. Weatherill <right_maple_nut-/E1597aS9LT10XsdtD+oqA at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> Walter, I'm afraid that you may be overestimating the intelligence of the
> average individual.  As someone who supports "average" users (currently
> on Windows but I hope, soon on Linux as well) I have to say that I am not
> encouraged by the intelligence level that I keep running into.

Maybe so, but I'm sure I've said this a couple times (though maybe not
necissarily on this list) - we've reached the point of critical mass
already.  People are smarter than we give them credit for (on average)
I think.  Perhaps I'm wrong, but being over-cautious, I don't think
so.  (All my "calculations" are "fuzzy," so take that with a grain of
salt...)

> I think that you should stick with your first statement about Linux and
> provide more information if it is asked for.

Never give more information than is needed...  Wizards First Rule
(ref=Terry Goodkind)

> A more telling statement from their perspective might be to say that using
> Linux would not require a hardware upgrade in most cases, unlike Vista,
> which is sure to require a memory upgrade as a minimum.
>
> Also we should mention that System level crashes are far less frequent
> with Linux.  (That's the dreaded "BSOD" to Windows users)

I (personnally) think Walter's on the right track.  Maybe not precise,
but those who're still stuck in the advertising world of m$ (or worse,
don't know any better) should respond effectively.  Anyone (including
Mr. Hiscocks) who can refine that better for Windoze Users - well so
much the better.

There is still something nagging at my soul (or "being" or whatever
you'd like to call it) that defies any explanation I can give...
something about the difference between users and "lusers" - or
something between owners and "renters" (those who accept Microsoft
EULA's) that I can't quite put my finger on...  If anyone could help
me identify that, I would be much obliged...

--
Scott Elcomb
psema4.gotdns.com