Promoting Linux before release of vista

phiscock-g851W1bGYuGnS0EtXVNi6w at public.gmane.org phiscock-g851W1bGYuGnS0EtXVNi6w at public.gmane.org
Fri Feb 24 02:44:58 UTC 2006

>   Would this be understandable by the average person...
>
>   - linux is more efficient than Windows
>
>   - In Windows, many functions are *ALWAYS* loaded and using up
>     resources even if when you don't need them, because they're
>     integrated into the kernel
>
>   - linux is more modular.  You can customize it to your taste.

As someone put it to me the other day, it's important in sales to talk
about benefits, not about features. So people need to hear 'Why should I
go up this learning curve?' The arguments need to be incredibly succinct -
as in, you should be able to make them to someone in an elevator, on your
trip between floors. As well, the arguments need to be simple enough that
*anyone* can understand them. (I've heard that called the 'grandmother'
argument, but that's a bit unfair to some very sharp grandmothers.)

I've found the arguments 'fewer hassles, lower cost' will work, providing
that the person is at all open to change.

It seems to me that efficiency, what's loaded, and modularity are rather
esoteric arguments. I like them, but that's not a good sign.

For example, imagine a commercial where there are two images: Microsoft
office, Open office. Underneath each one are their prices: $800, $0.
And then some brief comment, like, 'Maybe it's time to look at Open
Software', or, more maliciously, 'Maybe we should dump our Microsoft
stock'.

It's simple and unambiguous.

On the other hand, there is a good argument for not coming to the
attention of Microsoft, so you have to have a good reason and good backup
to pursue this.

Peter

--
Peter Hiscocks
Syscomp Electronic Design Limited, Toronto