Another Residential Connection

Adam Tworkowski adam-+Gnyv3l5ckaNFgfkp0FINA at public.gmane.org
Thu Feb 23 04:57:58 UTC 2006

I have been with 3Web since November specifically because:

a) DSL absolutely sucks in my area (almost not supported -- i.e.
maintenance mode) -- was with a Bell-reseller called EI Cat who were
*great* as a company - static IP for same price as Sympatico, great
customer service -- I just couldn't break the *1Mbps* barrier because of
crappy Bell lines (just north-west of Annex).

b) I couldn't bare having another service with Rogers as I hate dealing
with them as company for cell, TV, etc. [shudder].

3Web happens to be about $10 cheaper a month than Rogers for cable
internet (you have to provide your own modem).   Uptime and bandwidth
for me has been fine (I guess great).  Latency is not good -- remote
desktop (vnc/rdp type stuff) *bites* compared to my previous DSL (at 1/5
the "speed").  3Web's customer service *really* blows.  When someone
responds to customer support email they are polite enough but I have had
several (3+) emails go unanswered and am still awaiting (one week)
another answer about billing.  They also seemed to got a whole bunch
wires crossed during intial installation (i.e. I made it clear that I
didn't need an on-site tech to plug a modem in -- which resulted in
about 3 voice messages, etc.)  and they seemed to be confused about
their own pricing based on Western Canada versus Eastern Canada (Shaw
versus Rogers pricing/service plan) which resulted in an initial overcharge.

Adam

c.c. accountservices-1XyZfHNbJ7s at public.gmane.org (maybe someone will take notice ;)